TOP

The Oldest Profession

Crimewatch

swag.gif

 


News of raids, prosecutions, robberies, assaults etc from the world of punting

 


Father of Suffolk Strangler says he 'feels responsible' for bringing serial killer into world

Published in The Mirror
6th June 2015


Suffolk
The father of serial killer Steve Wright says he feels "sort of responsible" as he "brought the boy on to the Earth". Wright was given a whole life sentence for the 2006 murders of five women working as prostitutes, as he was told his "targeted campaign of murder" warranted the harshest punishment available to the judge.

The killer, then 49, was convicted of murdering Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29, following a trial at Ipswich Crown Court in 2008. Jurors heard the naked bodies of the women, who all worked in the Ipswich red light area, were found in isolated locations near the town between December 2 and December 12 2006.

Wright's father, Conrad Wright, told BBC News he still found what happened "hard to believe". He said: "When someone gets found guilty, if you like, and you don't make a complaint or start crying out for help, you tend to think there must be some truth in it.

"You feel sort of responsible in a way - you brought the boy on to the Earth - and if it weren't for you, he wouldn't have been there, and if he weren't here, they wouldn't be killed, would they? You can't just sit back and say 'it's nothing to do with me', because it is. It feels rough, really."

Mr Wright told the BBC his relationship with his son is "non-existent" now. "I haven't heard from him, even prior to the court case, not a word. All I had one day was a call from his solicitor asking if I could supply him with some cigarette money," he said.

Read more...

Pregnant woman 'kicked in head' after bingo, Hull court hears

Published in The Hull Daily Mail
5th June 2015


Yorkshire
A PREGNANT woman was knocked unconscious and kicked in the head when she was robbed while walking home from bingo, a court heard. The 32-year-old woman had spent the evening of January 4 with friends at Cecil Bingo in Ferensway, city centre, and decided to walk home when the taxi she was expecting failed to arrive.

Hull Crown Court heard how, shortly before midnight in Midland Street, she was stopped by Nicola Howson, 37, who asked her for a cigarette. Giving evidence yesterday, the woman told a jury: "I was smoking a cigarette, so I gave her some of the cigarette. I asked 'What are you doing out here – it's freezing'? She said she was a prostitute and she had a habit to feed.

"I said 'There must be other things you can do'. Then she approached a car that came to stop at the roundabout." The woman said the car drove off and she spoke to Miss Howson for about 20 minutes before becoming aware of a man approaching from behind.

Describing what she claimed happened next, the woman said: "He was talking some kind of lingo to the woman that was in front of me and the next thing I knew she's punched me in the face. I was shocked. I immediately put my hand to my nose, then I got a whack on the back of my head as well from the man."

Asked what happened next, she said: "I woke up [from being] unconscious on the floor with a man stood over me kicking me. I said 'What if I'm pregnant'?"

Jayne Bryan, prosecuting, asked: "Did that have any effect on what the man was doing?"

"No," the woman replied.

Read more...

Kerb crawling crackdown sees 35 men arrested

Published in The Darlington & Stockton Times
4th June 2015


Yorkshire
A CLAMPDOWN on kerb crawlers picking up prostitutes on the streets of Teesside has seen 35 men arrested.  The operation, which took place over 11 nights during a four week period in February and March, has so far resulted in eight being reported for summons, twenty being cautioned with the condition that they take part in a one-day ‘Ur Choice’ course ran by Barnardo’s and others remain on bail pending further enquiries. Five have since been released without charge.

Sergeant Paul Higgins, from Cleveland Police Licensing Support Unit, said: “We carried out this operation as a result of concerns raised by local residents in the Parkfield area of Stockton and the Gresham area of Middlesbrough.  We work closely with local agencies such as A Way Out and Barnardo’s to support these vulnerable women who feel that they have no other way to turn. There are services that are available to the women and we would encourage them to make contact with those services.

“Some of those who were arrested during the operation had already received convictions for kerb crawling and one man had even been convicted of violence against women. This highlights some of the danger that these women are facing.  Our operation sends a strong message – do not travel to Cleveland to solicit sex and not expect to be caught.”

Stuart Higgins, from Barnardo’s SECOS, said: “Instead of focussing on the women involved in prostitution, Cleveland Police and Barnardo’s SECOS are addressing the other side of the equation – the men who solicit for sex on the streets. We do this through the ‘UR Choice’ programme which aims to educate men about the reality of sex workers’ lives and the consequences of their actions.

Read more...