The Oldest Profession

Bradford Red light district

News of raids, prosecutions, robberies, assaults etc from the world of punting

Petition calls for action over prostitutes on Lumb Lane

Postby admin » 03 Jul 2013, 18:20

Prostitution is causing problems in Manningham, according to locals. Decades ago, Lumb Lane became known as Bradford’s red light district and it was immortalised as “The Lane” in 1990s drama Band of Gold. Police successfully rid the area of sex workers, but now it seems the problem is back.

A 1,591-signature petition has been sent to Bradford Council calling for something to be done about the issue, which is affecting a number of streets in the area. The petition is from a group calling themselves the ‘Lumb Lane business community’ and because it has more than 1,500 signatures, Council rules mean the issue must be discussed at a meeting of the full Council.

Councillors will debate the problem for up to 15 minutes at their next meeting, on Tuesday.

Councillor Imran Hussain (Lab), executive member for safer and stronger communities, said he believed the petition had been handed in a few months ago and since then the Council had been working with the police to address locals’ concerns.

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... manningham
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Cool

Bradford: Man admits soliciting prostitution

Postby admin » 10 Aug 2013, 22:41

A man admitted soliciting prostitution when he appeared at a police station in Bradford today.

Police said the offence was committed in the Lumb Lane area.

The man was given a community resolution not to enter an area of Manningham unless for work purposes, and an acceptable behaviour contract which contains a number of points the man has to adhere to.

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ostitution
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kerb-crawlers to face panels of 'shame'

Postby admin » 15 Aug 2013, 20:36

Kerbcrawlers are to go face-to-face with angry Bradford residents, blighted by the sex trade on their doorstep. Two men, caught soliciting for prostitutes in Lumb Lane, Manningham, are to meet people in the area to hear at first hand how their actions have upset them.

The unusual crimebusting tactic is part of a pioneering police project to tackle the problem in the Bradford district.

It follows the example of Neighbourhood Resolution Panels, which bring together criminals and their victims to agree, with trained volunteers, on restorative action in the community where low level crime or anti-social behaviour has taken place.

But this is thought to be the first time kerbcrawlers will face the residents their behaviour has affected.

more details ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... s-of-shame
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kerb-crawlers to face panels of 'shame'

Postby admin » 19 Aug 2013, 17:59

A pioneering police initiative in Bradford, to bring kerb-crawlers face to face with residents affected by their behaviour, has been put on hold to assess how to get the maximum impact.

Last week, Manningham and Toller Neighbourhood Policing Team disclosed plans to hold a meeting between two men, arrested for kerb-crawling in the Lumb Lane area, and local people who would have the opportunity to explain to them how their behaviour impacted on their lives.

The police said a third party would mediate at the “unusual” meeting. “The residents will be able to speak to the males and explain to them how their actions have upset them,” a spokesman said.

It would have been the first meeting of its type in the Bradford district. Any meeting has now been put back while senior officers carry out a more detailed analysis of the way to proceed.

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ut-on-hold
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

'Bradford prostitution still a problem', say campaigners

Postby admin » 07 Oct 2013, 17:38

Prostitution in part of Bradford remains a major problem according to campaigners who say the community is "still struggling to eradicate the menace." Majid Khan led a 1500-name petition in July which forced Bradford Council to debate the problem on Lumb Lane.

Mr Khan says the council, police and other agencies are working to tackle the problem, but that prostitutes still gather in the area, and residents still find used condoms and dirty needles most morning.

West Yorkshire Police say they are working together with the Probation Service and Bradford Council to ensure that the community of Lumb Lane feel supported, safe and reassured.

It comes after campaigners, who handed in a 1500 name petition into the council to force a debate on the issue of prostitution in the area, say it remains a problem.

"We have listened to their concerns about crime and have put in place a series of joint measures which includes focused patrols in the area. While initial feedback from residents has been positive and there has been a reduction in crime we will continue to work in partnership to further tackle the issue." – West Yorkshire Police spokesman

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ampaigners
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Man arrested for soliciting

Postby admin » 04 Nov 2013, 21:38

A man was arrested for soliciting yesterday after being caught in a “compromising position” with a prostitute in Bradford.

Police officers had spotted the man approaching a known prostitute in the Manningham Lane area at 6.50am.

He was then seen disappearing down a side street off Manningham Lane with another woman. The man and woman were both in police custody yesterday.

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... soliciting
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

City MPs call for kerb-crawlers to be named and shamed

Postby triple h » 23 Apr 2014, 06:58

City MPs call for kerb-crawlers to be named and shamed

Calls have been made by two of the city’s MPs for the high-profile naming and shaming of kerb crawlers to help drive street prostitution out of Bradford.

Registration plates of vehicles used by people trawling the streets to pay for sex should be emblazoned on posters or published online to clamp down on prostitution, Bradford West MP George Galloway has said.

And Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe agreed that the public shaming of offenders could prove a useful weapon in ridding the city of its red light reputation.

The calls come after the Telegraph & Argus reported yesterday that almost five years since the self-styled Crossbow Cannibal Stephen Griffiths began his killing spree in the city’s red light district, people complain that prostitution is still rife in Thornton Road, City Road and the areas in between.

Mr Galloway, Respect MP for Bradford West, said: “These people should be named and shamed. If it is through posters in local communities or if it is through a website where it is made public, then why not?”

He added: “I certainly don’t have a liberal attitude on prostitution. I met the sister of one of the murdered women shortly after I was elected and I made my attitude clear.

“Prostitution should be hammered, but it should be the men, the kerb crawlers, who are shamed and embarrassed. As we know, most of the women are driven by poverty and drug addiction.”

Mr Galloway said plain-clothes officers could be tasked with photographing the registration plates of kerb crawlers which could then be publicly displayed to deter offenders.

He said: “You just need a couple of plain-clothes officers with cameras and it would stop. The problem with prosecuting the women is that they keep going out to earn the money to pay the fines. It’s self-perpetuating.”

However, he accepted that crackdowns in one area were likely to move the problem elsewhere.

Mr Galloway said another problem could be accidentally identifying someone who was driving suspiciously but happened to be innocent. But he said he was sure there was a way this issue could be overcome.

Mr Sutcliffe added: “I’m all for naming and shaming kerb crawlers, provided they are actually all kerb crawlers.

“I think it would work, just as long as there is that safeguard that you are only targeting genuine kerb crawlers and not just anyone in that area.”

For some, however, the risk of wrongly naming and shaming an innocent driver is too great.

Bradford East MP David Ward (Lib Dem) said: “One can imagine the horrendous implications of wrongly accusing someone.

“In Bradford this problem returns on a regular basis and the only answer is a sustained commitment by the police to bringing prosecutions for soliciting and for kerb crawling.

“Efforts should also be made to find out if trafficking is taking place and, if so, help is provided to the girls and women forced into prostitution.”

Mr Ward said the names of people convicted of such crimes were already published in the Telegraph & Argus and it would be wrong to name and shame people before they got to court because they should be treated as innocent until proven guilty.

The idea of naming and shaming kerb crawlers has been tried in parts of the UK before, as well as abroad.

Many of the schemes involve publicising the identities of kerb crawlers after they have been convicted in court.

But one outreach worker said this was the wrong approach to dealing with a hugely complex problem.

Bruce Pearson, of the Sunbridge Road Mission Church, spends up to 15 hours a week offering support to women working on the streets.

He said while he understood the motivation for targeting kerb crawlers, in his view it would be better to plough these resources into trying to get the women off the streets through making them feel valued and helping them out of poverty or addiction.

Mr Pearson said no other social problem was solved through naming and shaming.

He said: “If you are going to tackle obesity or over-eating, you don’t stand and point a finger at a fat kid.”

The issue of prostitution is set to be discussed at a meeting of the Council’s Bradford West Area Committee at City Hall tonight.

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... and-shamed
it's time to play the game

i am the game and i want to play

triple h
TOP Team
TOP Team

Mood: Flirty

Re: bradford MP's call for kerbcrawlers to be named

Postby triple h » 23 Apr 2014, 07:07

here is the previous article

Call for renewed action to rid streets of sex trade years after Crossbow Cannibal killed

Five years after Crossbow Cannibal Stephen Griffiths began his killing spree in Bradford’s red light district, prostitution is still rife in the area.

Despite repeated police crackdowns and greater working with members of the community to try to eradicate the problem, shops, businesses and residents complain they are still plagued by the issue on a daily basis.

They told the Telegraph & Argus how decent citizens, including children, are confronted face-to-face by the sex trade, and that the heinous crimes of Griffiths have not stopped working girls plying their business on the streets that he stalked.

Susan Rushworth, the first victim of Stephen Griffiths, went missing five years ago this June. The police promised to push prostitution out of Bradford after the Crossbow Cannibal murders.

But it is still blighting the city’s red light area in the Thornton Road and City Road areas and the streets in between, from as early as eight o’clock in the morning.

Shopkeeper Marfat Ullah said he was particularly concerned about the impact on his children.

“I take my children to school at Green Lane and the working girls are standing there on the corners at 8am,” said Mr Ullah.

“I have two children, aged eight and five, and it is embarrassing for me. We got out of the car outside the school one day and there was a condom next to it. I try to ignore what is happening so as not to draw it to the attention of my children.” He said the sex trade was also bringing crime into the area. “I have had a burglary at the shop where a hammer was used to get in. I think it is drug addicts who are linked to the girls who are doing it.

“But my biggest concern is about the condoms. A bin was put in for condoms and needles. That’s not a good idea because children can see it.

“Nothing has changed since Stephen Griffiths. It’s just the same. I don’t know what the answer is, though I would like to see more police patrols at night.”

Brendan McNulty, of City Bathrooms in City Road, said he saw prostitutes on the streets in the middle of the day on a Saturday and as early as 8.30am on a weekday.

He said: “I was once propositioned on our own car park, getting out of my car, at eight in the morning.

“One morning one of the girls was stood on the corner, wearing a very short skirt and with grass stains on her knees. It’s not very pleasant.

“We don’t have any female employees but it would be difficult to employ them around here. It’s always at the back of your mind that you will lose business because of it. But you get used to it, they are just there.

“Things don’t seem to be any different after Stephen Griffiths. The girls are still around. But I am not surprised because nothing changed after the Yorkshire Ripper. That’s the world we live in.

“If they put a few extra police patrols up and down here it might make a difference.”

Residents’ views were shared by local councillors.

Councillor Ishtiaq Ahmed (Ind, Manningham) said: “I think it is still a problem. The police have actually cracked down when they’ve had their operations, and the number of prostitutes declines. But as soon as it has ended it is business as usual.

“During operations it pushes the whole prostitution issue indoors, to designated houses.

On the police’s clampdown claims, Coun Ahmed added: “In the overall grand scheme of things, I don’t think there has been any impact.

“They have not got anywhere near getting rid of it.”

He continued: “The residents of Manningham have to put up with it on a daily basis. Children are risking picking up needles and condoms.

“To have working girls standing on any street and being visible to young children, I don’t think it is appropriate to say the least.

“There needs to be a greater effort by the local authority and police.”

Councillor Nazam Azam (Lab, City) said: “There has been a lot of work put in by all agencies over the past 12 to 18 months.

“There have been a lot more complaints in the past, but recently I have noticed there has been a considerable decrease in the amount of complaints from businesses and residents.

“We need to keep working to eradicate prostitution from the streets of Bradford. It is still an issue. Obviously it was becoming widespread across Manningham and City wards, and we have received petitions in relation to it.

“I do not believe it has been completely eradicated.

“One vulnerable individual out on the streets is one too many. It is not only a police matter - all agencies need to continue their work.”

Coun Azam suggested a priority should be targeting kerb crawlers, and added: “Everything needs to be done to make sure we have no vulnerable individuals on the street that are at potential risk of harm.

“I would definitely commend that the police have done significant steps towards tackling the issue, but there has to be a continuation of this. The number of arrests does not mean we can stop – it is a long road ahead.”

He added: “I believe we can take away the issues from Bradford and not leave any vulnerable individuals at potential risk.

Councillor Imran Hussain, the deputy leader of Bradford Council and portfolio holder for safer and stronger communities, said: “We have travelled a significant journey since the Crossbow Cannibal, but we can never get complacent.

“We need to continue to tackle not only the issues at hand, but also the contributing issues such as criminality in general and drugs.”

Councillor Ruqayyah Collector (Ind, City) said: “It still exists. From what I understand, there are still drug supply issues in certain areas that help keep the trade active.

“But I do think there has been a reduction from the work that the police have been doing. I think they need to keep it on the agenda and not let it slip away.”

A report on prostitution will be discusssed by the Council’s Bradford West Area Committee at City Hall tomorrow.

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... bal-killed

triple h
TOP Team
TOP Team

Postby triple h » 23 Apr 2014, 07:15

and another article

Fears of vigilante action against street sex trade prompted police to act

Police have had to take steps to stop prostitution returning to Bradford’s once notorious Lumb Lane after fears of vigilante action.

Street sex workers had upset residents and businesses by moving from the Thornton Road area to Lumb Lane to ply their trade.

There were fears of vigilante action and at one stage groups of young men were seen walking round the streets to deter prostitution.

But the problem appears to be have been curbed after police joined forces with probation, Bradford Council and residents and businesses to address the issue through a phased approach involving overt enforcement; support for working women; intelligence gathering and a new method of dealing with kerbcrawlers.

Since September there have been 53 arrests in the crackdown, including 28 for street prostitution and 15 brothel arrests. In that time eight brothels have been raided and more than 50 Anti-Social Behaviour Contracts issued to kerbcrawlers.

Seven crimes were reported against women involved in prostitution, including rape and sexual assault, assault, and robbery, with 34 different women seen involved in street prostitution in the red light area of the city.

A report by the Prostitution Strategic Partnership, to be discussed at a Bradford Council committee meeting tomorrow, reveals that an increase in prostitution in the Lumb Lane area was reported to police in January last year, residents concerned about the effect on their environment, the impact on their children, and the connected crime and drug use.

Residents and religious groups were keen to avoid vigilantism, but isolated incidents of groups of young men trying to deter prostitution were observed.

A joint operation was mounted by police, probation and the Council, and the report says: “Over the last eight months community tensions in the area have been drastically reduced.”

Other measures taken include meetings with the community, installing CCTV, a clean up of the area including the removal of condoms and needles, and help from Bradford Working Women’s Service to encourage the sex workers to get support and move away from prostitution.

Inspector Richard Baildon, of Bradford District Police, said: “This is an excellent example of a number of partnerships coming together to help address people’s concerns in the community. Quite rightly, this was brought to our attention.

“Lumb Lane has previously been plagued by prostitution. The numbers have been on a much smaller scale than in the early 1990s, but it is something we are alive to.

“Locals have come together to discuss what they could do about the problem of prostitution. With our partners, we were able to harness that interest in addressing the problem. We were able to channel the frustrations in a more constructive way than vigilantism, which can ultimately be dangerous and lead to possible prosecution.”

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ice-to-act

triple h
TOP Team
TOP Team

Postby strawberry » 23 Apr 2014, 07:56

They've raided 8 brothels but want to get the women off the street.
Athletically firm, soft-skinned, naturally Strawberryblonde Escort based close to the Lake District

strawberry
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Mood: Mellow

Postby admin » 23 Apr 2014, 17:52

Thanks for finding those H
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby triple h » 24 Apr 2014, 15:58

'Awareness courses' plan to stop the kerb-crawlers

Kerb crawlers in Bradford could soon be sent on speed awareness-type courses as part of efforts to stamp out prostitution in the city.

Superintendent Vince Firth, of the Prostitution Strategic Partnership (PSP), said innovative ways of dealing with the issue included a course to learn about things such as the effect on communities.

He was talking at a meeting of Bradford West Area Committee last night, where prostitution and what is being done to tackle it, was on the agenda.

The meeting came a day after two of the city’s MPs called for kerb crawlers to be named and shamed.

George Galloway and Gerry Sutcliffe claimed publishing the registration plates of vehicles used by people trawling the streets for sex would help rid Bradford of its red light reputation.

Supt Firth told the committee about the positive work being done by the PSP, but added: “We do not see it as job done. We still have lots of work to be done and we are working on some really innovative things.

“One thing is sending men who are kerb crawling on a course. They have to pay to go on it.

“It’s a bit like being caught speeding - you either get the opportunity to go to court or go on a course. It’s the same sort of principle, you would learn about the effects of prostitution on the community.”

Supt Firth also added: “We are looking at naming and shaming some of these people, but we have to be really careful about how we do that. We have got a proposal for how we do it sat with our solicitors at the moment.”

Majid Khan, a resident and businessman in the affected area, praised the work of police in tackling prostitution, but said the problem was still there.

He added: “We request more police, Council and community resources, otherwise the problem is going to come back.

“It is very hard as a resident when families are being targeted for sex business.”

Supt Firth said: “We really don’t underestimate the damage prostitution does to communities. It has really affected the quality of life of some people.”

He added: “I think the community has acted exceptionally well – the restraint, understanding and commitment they have shown has been fantastic.”

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... b-crawlers

triple h
TOP Team
TOP Team

Postby Preacher » 24 Apr 2014, 18:55

The area concerned is a historic RLD which has been established for many decades. Such places - and there are many in UK - have proved to be remarkably resilient in the face of all kinds of efforts to close them down.

There have been reports of vigilantes from the local community - a mainly Muslim area - getting involved; let's hope that that is stopped.

Preacher
TOP Team
TOP Team

Postby Deviant » 24 Apr 2014, 19:04

Come on Galloway got elected by the Muslim electorate and he recognises that this will be a vote winner with them. Despite muslim men probably being as much clientele as the rest of us it will be a vote winner for him if he can move the women out of their neighbourhood. He has to get re-elected next year so anything like this may help his cause.

Deviant
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Postby Preacher » 24 Apr 2014, 19:09

Deviant wrote: it will be a vote winner for him if he can move the women out of their neighbourhood. He has to get re-elected next year so anything like this may help his cause.

It won't succeed - been tried countless times before and failed. Might as well try and stop the rain.

Preacher
TOP Team
TOP Team

PreviousNext

Return to Crimewatch