The Oldest Profession

Dundee RLD

News of raids, prosecutions, robberies, assaults etc from the world of punting

Re: New survey to measure extent of Dundee's street prostitution

Postby Preacher » 17 Dec 2011, 19:13

What with this, and new member Ana's topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31461

there must be something going on in Dundee?

Preacher
TOP Team
TOP Team

Postby honeydoguk » 17 Dec 2011, 19:26

I haven't heard anything, I'll try to find out more
There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there.
Indira Gandhi

honeydoguk
Beyond Help
Beyond Help

Mood: Angelic

Postby Preacher » 17 Dec 2011, 19:31

honeydoguk wrote:I haven't heard anything, I'll try to find out more

Thanks HD, would be interesting.

Preacher
TOP Team
TOP Team

Dundee RLD

Postby admin » 19 Sep 2014, 21:13

I've merged some related topics
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Cool

Undercover cops target Dundee prostitutes

Postby admin » 19 Sep 2014, 21:30

Plain-clothes police officers in Dundee have led a targeted campaign against city prostitutes. New police figures showed there were 28 prostitution-related crimes detected in Dundee between April 1 and June 30, up 600% from the four identified last year during the same period.

Despite the rise, Inspector Gary Price said that it didn’t mean there were more prostitutes on our streets — but that the force had been more proactive in clamping down on their activities.

The police believe that by tackling prostitution they are also preventing the individuals from suffering drug abuse and being victims of violent crime. He said: “The figures have gone up quite simply because we’ve been targeting prostitutes. We’re regularly going out with plain-clothed officers to cut down on street prostitution, sometimes thanks to members of the public coming forward to alert us.

“Prostitution is linked to many other types of crimes, such as violence, drugs and even house break-ins — it all rolls into one. We’ve mainly been targeting the Maryfield area and down to the city centre and, with our work, hopefully it means that when people travel into our city centre at night they will be able to enjoy themselves without hassle from prostitutes and it will also make the area safer.

“These prostitutes are from Scotland, they are well known to us and it’s not all about stopping the crime, but working with our partner agencies to help these people overcome their problems.

read more .... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... rostitutes
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dundee RLD

Postby admin » 13 Feb 2015, 20:40

Police in Dundee have launched a crackdown on kerb crawling in the city. Operation Lingle will target men who approach prostitutes for sex, while treating women caught up in the trade as victims.

Details of the intelligence-led campaign were announced by Chief Inspector Gary Ogilvie, area commander for Dundee, at a public meeting in Stobswell, where there have been six reports of kerb crawling in the last three months. He said: “It’s all about reducing the number of people who actively go out and proposition prostitutes. It’s about looking at these girls as the victims rather than the perpetrators.”

The drive has been welcomed by Stobswell and Baxter Park area residents, who said the area had been blighted by anti-social behaviour and drug dealing associated with prostitution — while some women had been approached by men who had mistaken them for sex workers.

Incidents of kerb crawling were reported at Arbroath Road, Broughty Ferry Road, Park Avenue, the junction of Craigie Road and Clarence Road, and Old Craigie Road.

Louise Dewar, 60, who lives in the area, said: “I was walking my dogs along Cardean Street and a girl approached me asking if there were any CCTV cameras in the area as she had been approached by someone in their car. She was asking if police could access the cameras to see who asked her to get in the car with them. It must have been quite a shocking experience for her as she looked a bit shaken.
I know it goes on and you used to see quite a lot of it in the past.”

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ee-streets
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 17 Mar 2015, 20:56

Residents in Dundee have unwittingly become caught up in the city’s ongoing struggle with prostitution. In recent months, Police Scotland have targeted the illicit trade, cracking down on importers and pimps and offering support to the women on the frontline. Senior officers believe that street prostitution has become a less common sight as a result, though the problem may simply have moved indoors.

Maryfield, however, continues to be a hotspot for prostitution, with locals clear that its impact is increasing. One resident, who asked not to be named, said she had been approached by strangers three times in a matter of weeks as she walked near her home on Baxter Park Terrace. On each occasion, the men hurried away after being challenged, but the woman said she believed they had mistakenly been attempting to solicit her.

Police Scotland said it did not believe there was any reason for residents to feel unsafe, but urged them to report incidents when they happen. A spokeswoman said officers would respond and that additional patrols could be detailed to affected streets should there prove to be good cause.

Recent public meetings with Police Scotland have seen women of all ages complain of being approached by men who had mistaken them for sex workers while in the Baxter Park area. Incidents of kerb crawling have been reported recently on Arbroath Road, Broughty Ferry Road, Park Avenue, at the junction of Craigie Road and Clarence Road and on Old Craigie Road. It is believed that the prevalence of such incidents has led to members of the public being solicited in error.

One woman who contacted The Courier said she had the misfortune to be approached three times in a matter of months. She said she believed there had been an escalation of illegal activity in the area and is keen for the police to act.

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... on-hotspot
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 27 Aug 2016, 21:36

An IT manager who solicited a prostitute after his marriage broke down and he was diagnosed with cancer has walked free from court. Derek Hannan, 56, of Marine Parade Walk, approached a sex worker on Dundee’s Arbroath Road on June 2 of this year.

On Friday at Dundee Sheriff Court the father-of-two admitted to picking up a prostitute and paying her £50 for sex.

The court heard Mr Hannan, who The Courier understands works in a senior position within NHS Tayside and earns £50,000 a year, had become depressed after his 30 year marriage broke down. During Friday’s hearing it also emerged the 56-year-old has previously been diagnosed with cancer.

Prosecutor fiscal Trina Sinclair said: “At eight o’clock in the evening the accused approached a known prostitute and asked her to get into his vehicle. He said he wanted to have sex and would give her £50 — she agreed. The accused was seen by a community warden who called the police. The accused then drove to City Quay and they had sex. At nine o’clock police traced the accused’s vehicle.”

Defence lawyer Mike Short said: “This is an unfortunate case. He is a responsible man who has made a mistake, but who has a good job and who has lived a normal life. He accepts it was the wrong thing to do and he has paid the price in terms of embarrassment. He has lived with this since it happened.”

Sheriff Simon Collins admitted he appreciated Hannan had a steady job and had people who rely on him. Saying he felt no need to take up any more of the court’s time with the case, Sheriff Collins issued Hannan with an absolute discharge.

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... prostitute
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 29 Jan 2017, 15:55

Concerned homeowners have reported a spike in kerb crawling in Dundee. Residents spoke out at a recent meeting of the Stobswell Forum, saying more vehicles were seen loitering in the area — where prostitutes are known to congregate — during the festive period.

A joint meeting between the local community, Dundee City Council and police will be held on the back of concerns.

Police Scotland sergeant Alex Munro said the service is aware of the concerns raised by local residents and a recent increase in reports of kerb crawling. He said: “I am working closely with key partner agencies including the local authority and Vice Versa who are part of the Violence Against Women Partnership to address the issues that the community have told us about. We are also carrying out high visibility patrols with a view to improving community safety and the protection of vulnerable people.

“Police Scotland is committed to keeping people safe and protecting those at risk of harm in our communities and where vulnerabilities are identified referrals will be made to partner agencies to ensure support is provided at an early stage.’

Stobswell Forum chair Duncan McCabe said: “It was brought up by residents living on Arbroath Road. They feel they have witnessed an apparent increase in kerb crawling, particularly over the Christmas and New Year period. There’s a planned meeting with community workers and community police.”

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... b-crawling
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 16 Feb 2017, 19:05

Calls for Dundee to have its own designated red light zone have proven unpopular with councillors and community workers.

Several homeowners living on Dundee’s Arbroath Road have called for sex workers to be stationed within a designated area of the city. Both Market Street and Dock Street have been suggested by fed-up residents, who have grown tired of prostitutes and kerb crawlers congregating yards from their homes. Thirty homeowners met with police, community workers and local councillors at Dundee’s Arthurstone Library to express frustration about the ongoing issue of kerb crawling.

Creating a designated red light zone for sex workers was among one of the suggestions put forward by residents.

Tayside Division’s Police Sergeant Alex Munro said plain-clothed officers will be drafted in to review the area in an attempt to make it “less user friendly”. A CCTV van may also be used to cover surrounding side streets. It’s thought the suggestion of creating a set red light area would be unpopular.

City centre councillor Lynne Short believes sex workers congregate in residential areas to ensure their own safety. While she wants a “zero tolerance” approach to kerb crawling, she does not believe moving prostitutes to other areas of the city will solve the issue.

She said: “My biggest issue with that would be safety. Many women go to the Abroath Road because they know it is safe. We’re looking into getting signs made available warning kerb crawlers and signs from Vice Versa (a service who help sex workers) advising women that it’s not safe. If we attempt to let people know that it’s not somewhere they should be going, then it gets the message across. It will be a ‘prostitution isn’t welcome here’ type of thing. The problem will move again, but that’s why we need to look at the political angle — a zero tolerance approach.”

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... women-safe
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Feb 2017, 14:12

“Of course I want out of this, of course I do. It affects you and it changes you forever.” These are the words of a woman gripped by drug addiction and selling her body on the streets of Dundee.

A special investigation by the Tele has uncovered what life is like for women who spend their nights selling sex on the city’s Arbroath Road. It followed a public meeting on Monday when residents told police and other authorities that the areas around their homes had become a “red light zone”.

The Tele had spent only 30 seconds speaking to a young woman who was lingering beside a bus stop near Montgomerie Avenue before she had offered to have sex with our reporter — who was posing as a member of the public at the time — for £40.

The woman, who said her name was Steph, spoke openly about her experiences working in prostitution, both before and after our reporter revealed his true identity. She revealed she had been engaging in prostitution for only “a few months” and that she charged £40 for sex or other sex acts. However, she also had to pander to “weirder” requests from members of the public.

Steph said that drug addiction had led to her current situation. She told the Tele: “I do this for money for drugs. I’ve been on smack (heroin) in the past, but it’s vallies (Valium) I’m wanting to buy tonight. It’s £40 for it all. I just want to make that tonight and go — I’ll not be hanging about. If you’ve got a car, we can go there. If not, I dunno — Baxter Park or somewhere quiet. I’m just new to this. My friends (other prostitutes) told me to come up here to do it.”

The Tele witnessed at least one other woman on the same night apparently involved in prostitution in the area.

read more ... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... ou-forever
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Feb 2017, 14:13

A special investigation by the Tele has uncovered what life is like for women who spend their nights selling sex on the city’s Arbroath Road. It followed a public meeting on Monday when residents told police and other authorities that the areas around their homes had become a “red light zone”.

The Tele had spent only 30 seconds speaking to a young woman who was lingering beside a bus stop near Montgomerie Avenue before she had offered to have sex with our reporter Steven Rae — who was posing as a member of the public at the time — for £40.

The woman, who said her name was Steph, spoke openly about her experiences working in prostitution, both before and after our reporter revealed his true identity.

Here is Steven’s account of the meeting.

As I approached Steph, it was easy to see she was a “stereotypical” prostitute. Painfully thin, I knew she was a drug addict before she told me. Within minutes of speaking to her, I felt profoundly sorry for this vulnerable young woman.

She was standing in the freezing cold, on Valentine’s Day, waiting for someone to give her enough money for a fix to feed her Valium habit, so that she could go home.

As she opened up to me about her situation I could tell she had a troubled back-story. Her eyes welled up as she told me about her “wee boy” in Ayrshire she doesn’t have custody of. She had dreamed of a career in nursing, but drug addiction had clearly derailed her hopes of a normal life.

read more .... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... able-woman
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Feb 2017, 14:13

Residents of a busy Dundee road have called for more security in a bid to crackdown on prostitutes. It comes after a public meeting where the street was described as a “red light zone”.

When reporter Steven Rae went to investigate, he was offered the services of one woman within 30 seconds.

The Tele spoke to residents in Arbroath Road to get their views on curb crawling and asked how they thought it should be dealt with.

Retired council worker Elizabeth Tulloch, 88 said: “I think it’s terrible. I know a gentleman down the road who has phoned the police about it before. It’s a sad world we live in. I think some police patrolling would be a good enough solution.”

Margaret Anderson 60, an admin officer, said: “I watched a woman crawling along the road one night, she was so out of it. I hope something can be done about it. My niece plays in the garden — especially in the summer nights — and she’s seen women in all sorts of clothing.”

Pam Kalsa, 56, a support worker, said: “I’m not happy about what’s going on. I’ve not actually seen much because I’m not out at that time of night, but I do worry about children and what they might see. I think there should be some wardens put in place or even police.”

Brent Anderson, 63, a custody officer, said: “I was delivering a letter and a woman got in somebody’s car right in front of me. I called the police and gave them the model and plate number, but nothing was done.”

http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... rostitutes
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 19 Feb 2017, 14:14

Men who seek out the services of sex workers should be targeted in a bid to crack down on the problem, according to a senior councillor. Alan Ross, community safety and public protection convener for Dundee City Council, also said more should be done to educate men who pay for sex as to why what they are doing is wrong.

Mr Ross spoke out following a special investigation by the Tele in which one woman on Arbroath Road offered our reporter sex for £40 to feed her drug habit. It followed a public meeting on Monday at which Arbroath Road residents told police and other authorities that the areas around their homes had become a “red light zone”.

Mr Ross said: “The solution is about targeting the people using these women for sex. A strong message needs to be sent that people should not pay for sex. We need to speak to the men using these women and try to educate them as to why their behaviour is wrong as well as using the law to punish them. It is the abuse of vulnerable women.

“Our approach at this time remains about helping these women and offering them advice, whether that’s from the police, the council or charities, to help them get out of this way of life and support them. One of the key focuses also has to be targeting the people using these women for sex — because without them there would be no prostitution.”

Mr Ross said women who find themselves working as prostitutes often find themselves doing so because they have no other option. He said: “It’s not a career anyone would go for by choice — these women do it because they are vulnerable and desperate.”

read more .... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... councillor
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 28 Feb 2017, 21:05

Crimes linked to prostitution in Dundee are on the rise, according to a new report. Statistics from the Scottish Government revealed that such crimes recorded in the city more than doubled in 2014/15 compared with the year before.

In the three other major cities in Scotland, these types of crimes dropped during the same period.

The report stated that “the majority of prostitution-related crimes comprise brothel-keeping, soliciting services of a person engaged in prostitution, and offences related to prostitution”.

In 2014/15, there were five cases of brothel-keeping in Dundee, up from one the previous year.

Crimes of soliciting services of a person engaged in prostitution also rose from six in 2013/14 to 11 the next year.

And, other crimes related to prostitution rose from seven in 2013/14 to 18 the following year.

Alan Ross, community safety and public protection convener for Dundee City Council, told the Tele today: “I would say this is why we need to have a different approach towards prostitution. We need a targeted approach against the people who are buying sex and to decriminalise being a prostitute. As I have said before, no one chooses that life — it’s almost always linked to drug addiction.”

read more .... http://oldestprof.com/index.php/crimewa ... n-the-rise
- Mae West

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Crimewatch